Monday, January 24, 2011

Cupboard Full of Carbs

I'm trying to reduce the daily carb intake for Joyful Monkey. Her basal to bolus ratio as of late has been about 25:75. Trying to get her to 50:50 is going to be a big adjustment. To meet this goal, I need to give her only 5.5 units of bolus each day. This is going to be tricky. As I'm contemplating exactly how this will look, I glance over at my cupboard to find it full of carbs.

I've got to come up with some tempting carb-free or very low carb snacks for her. Other than sugar-free jell-o, peanuts, and a spoonful of peanut butter, she's not really liking anything. She's pretty fickle with veggies. Sometimes she likes them, sometimes she doesn't. Any suggestions from all those wonderful, innovative D-Mamas out there?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure you need to change her carb intake to even things out. I think she needs her basal rates upped a bit, and her carb ratios changed to a higher number. 1 for 30 carb rather than 1 for 20 for example. Was it your endo who suggested eating less carbs? If not, I would give them a ring and see if they can change the rates to help you out. You are right though, the two should be more even, but I think there may be a less painful way to do it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Meri! I spoke with another D-Mama and she said the same thing. Our peds diabetes team didn't suggest that we cut back carbs, but did suggest we try to get closer to the 50:50 ratio.

    I assumed that to do this, I would have to find her basal TDD and try to match her carb ratio boluses to that. I hadn't considered the possibility of increasing basal rates and bolus ratios.

    We see the peds d-team on Friday, so I'll ask them.

    I tell ya; I thought I'd have this down by now...we've been pumping for five months. It seemed basic and simple at first, but the fine-tuning is a bit more complicated! ;)

    Thanks for the suggestion. I appreciate you!

    ReplyDelete